Ever wondered how fit you should be compared to the rest of the population?
You can take this simple 2 x Exercise test in the comfort of your own home.
First Test: Chair sit test.
How long does it take you to Stand and Sit 10 x times on a chair?
Start from the sitting position on a hard kitchen chair, bench or similar.
Hint: the faster the better.
You should be at or under the above times for your age group in the above table.
Second Test: Step up and down for 3 minutes.
- Use the first row of a set of stairs, or a stepping block approximately 20cm – 25cm high.
- Use the bannister or wall for stability if needed.
- Stand in front of the step or block and place your left foot firmly on the step.
- Bring up your right foot, then step down with your left foot, followed by the right foot, back to the standing position.
- Repeat with each leg for exactly 3 minutes.
- Use a moderate speed not too fast or too slow.
- Keep your weight balanced evenly, not leaning too far forward or too far back.
- Immediately after the 3-minute step session take your pulse. (heart beats per minute – bpm)
Hint: count your beats for 15 seconds and then multiply by 4 to give you beats per minute.
If your results need to improve Exercise Therapy Australia has the medicine, for you.
Individually prescribed by qualified professionals to suit your body type and any medical condition, chronic disease or injury that may be present.
Exercise is Medicine – Take the pill and be better for it…
Ref. Professor Lorna Paul, Glasgow Caledonian University